Thursday 16 April 2009

Settling in

So, we´re here. What´s happened, how did the trip go??

To be completely honest the start of the trip didn´t bode too well for me as we flew straight after my 2 night shifts - 2 night shifts where I didn´t sleep because some inconsiderate bar stewards decided to have fires! How rude, did they not know I was going away? Anyway, long story short, I managed to leave work at 4am after pretty much no sleep the previous 24 hours. Drove to Claire´s mum´s and we all headed off to Heathrow with our bags a plenty. It all went like clockwork really, boarded in time, fed Bo and got our Bassinet sorted (a clip on bed for him, brilliant!) but then, "Meal sir?"
"Yes, please. Claire will have the Chicken but I´ve ordered the vegetarian option"
"Oh, I´m sorry sir we haven´t received any vegetarian requests"
"Ah......bugger....."
So that was it, no sleep for the past 2 days, sat on a plane with 16 hours travelling ahead of us and they have no food for me - classic!
Luckily enough, 20 mins later one of the cabin crew returned and informed me that they found me an extra vegetarian meal of which I was grateful for, because as it turned out it would be the last substantial meal until we arrived in Lima!! Bloody Airlines!

We arrive in Lima, no problems, and made our way to the exit where we were expecting out taxi to have arrived. Bodhi was still asleep in the pushchair so it actually went pretty smoothly. Arriving at exotic airports, for some reason, is always scarey for me. The hustle and bustle, the heat, humidity, the noises of foreign conversations and strange faces all seem a bit too much and hit you all at once - it´s never a gradual thing. This time however, I had Claire and Bodhi with me and that responsibilty added to the unease so when I could not see my name being held aloft by a friendly taxi driver who would ease all the pain and whisk us off to the sanctuary of our hostel well, lets just say it seemed and age!

Soon enough though we were being driven through the ubiquitous poorly surfaced roads, avoiding pot holes whilst the neon adverts and western influenced posters whizz by accompanied by the sounds of horns hanging in the air. We were dropped off at the hostel in Barranco easily enough and after haggling with the taxi driver who tried to rip us off for $5 (did I mention I was expectinga nice driver?) we found ourself in the room, laying on the bed, surrounded by half open rucsacks and slowly drifting off to sleep listening to Bo, contentedly sleeping in his travel cot....god I was tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment