Saturday 2 May 2009

and back to Lima...

Following Machu Picchu wasn´t gonna be easy so we took it easy, I managed to finish my book ("friends like these" by Danny Wallace - good read) and by lunch time we were pretty much at a loose end. I was walking li´l Bo, trying to get him to sleep when I came across 3 horses. All tacked up, ready to go. I hung around like Michael Jackson at a child care centre, waiting and waiting. Ready to pounce! And I did. I managed to speak to the guy, who obviously didn´t speak english - nothings ever that easy, and found out who to see about hiring the horses. José a lad who worked on our Hostal!! Better late than never I suppose. So after the necesarry running around and sorting out I walked in to Claire saying, "Get ready, your riding in half an hour!"

In a bit of a shock I think, she fettled around and slowly got ready. She had a birthday present of an afternoon of riding ahead of her. I waved her off as she plodded down the lane towards the terraces. I hoped she enjoyed it as I knew it was not going to be a great standard of hard riding but I figured the setting would more than compensate. I think she enjoyed it.

The next day we were supposed to be getting picked up by José, our original driver, by 9am.

9am came and went.

In a last ditch effort I ran around the square looking for a taxi and eventually got one for 20 solés cheaper - result! We headed back to Cusco to catch our flight back to Lima and were amazed to find that we´d been upgraded to first class...ooh posh eh!? It was only a small plane so Claire was being a tit,"ooh it´s gonna crash"..."moan - what´s that noise" blah blah blah.... so obviously I just wound her up about it ;o)

Arriving safely in Lima we quickly headed back in a cab sent by Melissa, I think it was the right one although the sign he held up was saying ´Niz Wood´? Once back in the hostel we took a deep breath of relief as it really felt like we were home after a long journey. The next few days were spent relaxing, visiting familiar places and getting ready for that bloody journey home.

No comments:

Post a Comment